Saturday, June 15, 2013

A Bug Baby Shower

Last weekend my mother and I threw a baby shower for my sister-in-law who is expecting her first baby in July.  Her and my brother have always referred to the baby as "bug" so we thought the baby shower should have a bug theme.  I did a little browsing of Pinterest for ideas, but all I could really find were lady bug showers and she is having a boy so that wasn't going to work.  I ended up just adjusting a few ideas I found to make it a boy bug party.

First, we had to create invites.  I took on this challenge and ended up having a lot of fun making them.  The majority of it was done on my computer.  I then printed them off and glued them to various colors of card stock.  I had a very hard time embedding them into this post so please click here to see the baby shower invites.

My mom and I are not big game players at showers so we didn't want to have too many, but we figured we had to have a couple.  We decided to have a jar filled with gummy worms and have the guests guess at how many worms there were.  Here is the game sheet we used.


We also decided to have some jars of baby food with the labels removed and asked the guests to figure out what flavor they were.  This game was hilarious.  Some tasted them, some smelled them, and some just looked at the color and guessed.  I was shocked when three of my aunts who haven't had babies in over 15 years got almost all of them correct!  Here is the game sheet we used.


We went pretty simple with the food and decorations.  For decorations, my mom found some bug nets and cute bug catching kits at a local dollar store that we placed on the tables.  The gifts for the two games were gerber daises so these she also used on the tables for decorations.  To finish it all off, she got some colorful balloons for the food and gift tables.

The shower was in the early afternoon.  Figuring many people had already eaten lunch, we decided to have just a few cold salads and some fruit.  


Instead of going with a cake, to keep with the "bug" theme, we made little dirt cake cups for each guest.


The party was a lot of fun and actually not a whole lot of work.  We did make all the food ourselves, but my mom and I had a good time spending the morning in the kitchen together.  I also think it helped that we started planing a couple months in advance so we didn't have to do everything in just a couple of days.  

1 comment:

stevenjared0853 said...

Joyous to know about this bug baby shower party. Couple of months ago, I arranged my cousin’s birthday party at a lovely venue New York. Booked this venue through the internet and got amazing discount as well. Had good time.