Saturday, September 7, 2013

Calming the Gift Wrapping Supplies

My gift wrapping supplies (bows, ribbons, wrapping paper, bags, tissue paper, etc.) have a home in the closet in my husband's office.  Up until now, I have used two large gift bags to store all of my other gift bags and tissue paper.  My bows and gift tags have been kept in a plastic grocery bag.  These bags were then stacked on top of each other in the closet with the rolls of wrapping paper leaning on the wall next to them.

This system seemed to work okay for me until the other day when it all came tumbling down on my cat who was trying to get at the ribbon in one of the bags.  Due to the fact that it was all spread across the floor and I had to pick it up anyways, I thought I would try to organize it a little better.  Here is everything on the floor, a "before" if you will...


If we have another child, my husband's office will be turned into a bedroom, meaning this stuff will then have to be stored in our basement.  Therefore, I wanted my new organizing system to be something that would keep the gift wrapping supplies neat and clean in the basement when the time comes.

First I took all the gift bags out and grouped them by event (baby shower, Christmas, etc.).  As I was doing this, I threw out any that were too wrinkled or were broken.  I found an extra gray plastic tub in the basement that I then placed all the bags in, still keeping them grouped by theme.  I like the fact that I can put a lid on this when it has to go in the basement.

Next was the tissue paper.  First I sorted this out by color, again getting rid of any that was to torn to use.  I had a really nice shopping bag from Victoria's Secret that I placed on the tissue paper in rainbow color order.

I was struggling with what to do with the wrapping paper.  I wanted a plastic tub like this made for wrapping paper, but I am going to try and wait until after Christmas hoping to get a good deal on one.  I ended up using an extra wastepaper basket that used to be in my office.  For now, I will just stand the rolls up in it, keeping them a little more contained.

Last was to find something to hold the ribbon, bows, gift tags, a pen, tape, and a scissors.  I recently had a Thirty One Gifts party and as a gift for hosting, I was given a small canvas bag with many pockets.  I found that this worked perfectly.

Here is everything neatly organized in the new containers...


The gift wrap supplies now take up much less room in the closet and are not creating a leaning tower ready to topple.  

No comments: